Monday, January 17, 2011

A Frugal Bunch

Came home from the farmer's market with a bargain Friday..over seven lbs.of apples, five tangerines, and two green tomatoes, for $3.00! Granted, they were a bit past their prime, and I didn't have a plan for any of it, but I felt rich with my haul.



Today was my let's do it all up day. I made two apple pies; one for Josh, who was here to help his Dad with installing the wood stove preliminaries, and one for Pete, for the freezer (he'd just finished a pie off). I was excited to use one of my little pie birds my sis got me for Christmas that I've wanted (seen with the ribbons still on them)..worked well! I'm not one to do a lot of baking, but I do like doing pies since my honey especially loves apple pies (with lots of cinnamon!), or any pie for that matter! The left over apples I sliced into rings and have drying on four racks in the dehydrator.

Also made some fried green tomatoes with some fried chicken tonight for dinner..thought I'd go to hell with myself and have a rare "fried" night and be done with it! The tangerines I'll send to work for a snack for Pete. And the apple peelings were shared between the birds/critters and the compost pile. I love being frugal and that none of it is wasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...