Thursday, December 30, 2010

Winter Garden

Got back from NY and decided it wasn't too late to get a little garden going, of winter veg. So bought some T-posts, some flexible fencing (hardware cloth?), some manure and compost, some veg and seed and dug right in. I have a small rototiller that helped speed things along breaking up the soil and mixing the amendments in. I planted plants of broccoli, collards, cabbage and kale, and seeded a separate bed of winter squash. I also planted seeds of spinach, Swiss chard and rutabaga, and some garlic cloves. I've not tried growing any of them, other than garlic before. So, I believe, all being cool weather veg, I hope they'll do well. Everything is up and growing, so far. I made it a long and narrow plot, 2' x 20' ft, as I read deer won't likely try to jump into a space that's too small. We'll see! I love all the winter veggies, and would be real tickled if I managed to grow a few myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...